And a story begins part IV

It has been 15 days since the last time I typed. It has been 15 days since I started writing a story, my so called true fiction. I have been doing nothing during the last 15 days. Suhas and I are also going distant. He is busy with his work and I am lost all the time. These 4 walls tend to eat me alive. I have been trying to find some time to concentrate and continue the story which I started. This is my usual story, I start something and then it goes away. This has to change; I have 45 days to submit this story to my editor cum publisher. I will be completely broke if I don’t sell this story.
What can I do? The usual question starts doing the round. I better get some air.


----------


“How are you doing man?” Tomba asked me as I opened the gate to his house and parked my cycle.
“Am alright dude, the ringing sound seems to be still there” I replied while picking up a ‘moda’ to park my butt.
“You are one lucky dude you know, you could have died there man” Tomba continued while he continued to water the plants in his small garden. His Father’s garden actually, his job was to water it every day. Every lazy bum of us got that as a daily chore.
Yeah I could have died, I know, you dumb fuck.
“What is that plant called?” I asked pointing to a beautiful flower with its petals growing downwards. It was very beautiful. Orange, Red, Yellow and another shade of red were the primary colors in that flower or floret, I don’t know but it was really beautiful.
“Oh this one! This is Burmese banana tree” Tomba replied.
“What? A banana tree with that kind of flower?” what rubbish. How can a banana tree not look like a banana tree and be called a banana tree?
“I don’t know the real name but people call it that way. My uncle who is posted in Moreh town got this from there. He is giving out saplings to people who are interested in planting this one.” He said in one breath.
Oh yeah, Moreh, the border town between Manipur, India and Myanmar; the place where you get everything, from a bloody pin to a plane; figuratively. Imphal is flooded with all the Chinese goods which come through Moreh and people like it.
“Can we get one?” I asked.
“Sure, when?”
“Like, right now!”
“Ok, let’s take my dad’s scooter then, we can come back faster” Tomba said as he went inside his house to change his clothes.


The Sagolband and Uripok area is divided by a small rivulet which flows through it and connects to the Nambul River. I don’t even know the name of this rivulet, shame on me. Anyway, Tomba and I reached the place and took a right turn just before the bridge on the rivulet. Across the rivulet was a Manipur Police commando team in a gypsy, frisking people.
I got down the scooter, opened the gate and entered.
“Tomba, don’t look at them when you come in” I said as I kept walking towards the house.

“Hello aunty, how are you?” Tomba greeted his aunt. Is uncle home? He continued.
“No, he has gone out for some work. What is the matter?” his aunt enquired while feeding her 3-4 month old baby with cerelac which was all over the baby’s face.
“My friend here wants a sapling of that Burma banana tree” Tomba said.
“Oh, ok, you can take it. Come right to the backyard, the saplings are all planted there. You can dig one right up” she said as we entered the house. “Would you boys like some tea?” she asked.
“Tea is good” Tomba replied.

The tea was served with some biscuits and then we walked out to the backyard. Tomba and her aunt started to dick with a sickle and I was holding the baby. They were right in front of me, the slow rivulet on the left and the road on its banks leading to another friend’s place, the roughly put up bamboo fence which marks the boundary of Tomba’s aunt’s house. The bunch of Big banana trees covering the setting Sun.

“You move and you are dead” a Manipur police commando with his AK-47 rifle pointed towards Tomba spoke from the bamboo boundary fence.
In a blink of an eye, one commando jumped over from my right hand side, another leaped out of the banana trees and another from the right side of the house. One asked me to hand over the kid to the mother. They took the mother inside the house. They took Tomba to the eastern side of the backyard. They took me to near the banana trees.
“Who is he, what is his name?” the police asked me. I gave the answer.
“You are lying, you son of a bitch, is he not Jayanta from Khuyathong? Tell the truth, else you will die” he commanded as he pointed his gun towards my head.
“Sit down, don’t look up” he commanded again.
I was thinking what is going on. There was nothing that I could comprehend of the situation. Everything ran in front of my eyes. Mom, Dad, brothers, school, and everything else that I had seen till that time of my life. I was crying for help but my eyes had no tears in it. I was shouting for help from the local people who had gathered hearing the commotion.
“Don’t look up, I will shoot you, fucking underground” he commanded again.
“Please don’t shoot me, you are mistaken, we are not underground militants, we are students” I kept saying.
“Shut up, I said shut up” his voice shaking as he pushed me with his gun.
He pulled the lock of his AK-47 rifle but his finger was on the trigger already or something, one bullet was fired and it hit the ground 3-4 inches away from me. The noise from the shot deafened me and that ringing sound increased and started hitting me really bad.
This is it, I thought, the end of my life as I know it.


-----------------------------------------



“Hey dude, what happened after this?” Suhas screamed as he shook me up from my afternoon lumber.
“What? When did you come back?” I asked.
“Just a while ago” he quipped.
“Tell me what happened after this.” He persisted.
“You will get to know when I type the rest” as I went back to my dreams.
“Oh come on, you can’t do this” he screamed and I could hear it in the distance.

.....
45 days left 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infosys Times

The Bengaluru to Imphal Drive (part 1)

The true Indian