A Victory Smile

 

“Kill them all and rust in peace” was the wording that Mike had put up on one of his walls in his room. This poster was the most prominent amongst all the other death metal band’s posters he had put. Listening to death metal bands and playing video games were his pastime. He would lock himself in his room for hours, even days together. Given a choice he would be like this for ever. His college life was meaningless to him. He never understood what was being taught and what was he reading. His parents were worried as to what is going to come of him. They tried their best to convince him to study and be like everyone else.

“I hate all of you, I hate the world, I hate my life, get out of my room” Mike shouted when his mother knocked on his room door. Like any Indian mother, she started crying. “What did I do wrong? Oh God, please help me, what sin have I done?” Mike’s mom prayed. “Your God will not help you, he will never listen to you” Mike lamented. “What in the world is wrong with you?” she cried. “Nothing is wrong with me, I am perfectly fine, just don’t disturb me” Mike shouted back from his room.

That night, Mike’s mom woke up from a bad dream. She looked at the watch, it was 3 AM. She thought of checking what her son was doing. As she walked towards his room, she saw lights coming out from beneath the door. What is the world is he doing now? She thought as she approached his room. Instead of knocking she preferred to listen to what was happening.

“Oh my demon, my Satan, the one on whom I believe, where art thou, come to this world, come to me, I want you to be guide, my savior, take my soul, I present myself to you” Mike’s mother was listening with utter horror and disbelief. She immediately knocked the door hard, so hard that it flung open. Mike was on his knees, stark naked, with a candle in front of him. His long hair was untied, resembling a zombie, he looked towards his mother. “Get out of my room” he said with his teeth clenched.

Mike’s mother cried inconsolably, his father woke up to find this to his utter shock. They both decide the handle the situation the next morning. Mike was fast asleep when his mother woke him up. As usual he was not ready to wake up and wanted to sleep for some more time. “Mom, I am very tired, please let me sleep” is all he said. To this his mother thought that she should let him sleep.

“Mom, who the hell lit candles in my room, my carpet is destroyed” Mike screamed at the top of voice. His parents were clueless about what was happening to their son. “I will kill that person when I find out” Mike continued to shout. “None of you will be spared from my wrath” he slammed the door behind as he walked out of the house.

Mike returned home that evening, only to find that no one was in the house. He went to his parent’s bedroom to check. He found both of them sleeping. He sat beside his mom, staring at her. How can you sleep so peacefully when your son’s life is ruined? He asked gently. Answer me mom, how could you? I need help, I am the demon, and I know that you don’t like me as I am. You hate me, you never loved me, you never cared for me, and that’s why I hate you. Dad, how can you do this to me? How can you just watch your son’s life go away in waste? Why did you not scold me? Why did you not take care of? I need you. I hate you, I just hate you. Answer me. Mike started to cry as he kept questioning his parents, while they were asleep. I know you won’t answer, coz you hate me, I am not your son. Mike continued to cry and talk. I am not your son; Mike said again and walked out of the room, went to his room and fell asleep.

The next day, Mike woke up to a noise coming from the living room. Almost the entire neighborhood was there in his living room. Everyone was looking at him while he came down the stairs. “What are these people here for?” he thought. “Mom, the entire colony is here, where are you?” he shouted as he picked up the morning newspaper. “Son, you need to come inside your parent’s room” one of the elders said. He goes inside the room to find his parents in the same position as they were last night. He looked at them. “Are they dead?” he asked. “Yes son” someone replied.

Mike looked at his parent’s dead body and smiled.

A victory smile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infosys Times

And he never went back home

The true Indian