And a story begins

It’s been a while since I last wrote anything.  January 12th was the last time I could type something and paste somewhere. It is sometimes mind boggling to know how much you want to type but you just cannot. You have these ideas doing somersaults in your brain ready to be inked but somehow you manage to not type anything. After a while you don’t remember what you were thinking. You pass by some place and then it inspires you to do something, you want to write down a phrase, a stanza, a verse, but you just can’t. Concentration takes a vacation when you really want to have it. It is difficult for someone like me, who prefers to write than talk. I do talk but if you give me a choice, I rather write than talk. Then again, I can't write all the time. You see.
So, what am I writing about? No idea. That is the way it has been, I start off idealess and then it goes everywhere it can. Trying to make some sense while I type has been a way for me. Some people have known my writing way but they don't read me now rather they can’t read me now. I don't blog that often and I don’t work in that office anymore. The question that I have always asked myself is do I write for myself or for the audience? I don’t know, has been my answer. This particular question was discussed in detail once and the common agreement seemed to be more people wrote with their audience in mind. However, the question that went unanswered was that why do people use difficult words when they write? Oh no, this has been written. I know. I wrote something about it sometime back. So, no, I am not writing about that today.
So, what do I write about then? No idea. Still.
How about a story?
Nice, but I don't have a story.
Well, make up one. You are the writer.
Dude, I need time to think, research, layout the plot and stuff, it is not easy as you think.
Oh really?  
Yes, it is not easy to just take a pen and paper and start writing.
I have seen people doing that.
Well, they must be geniuses then, I can't do it. I need a lot of time to think about a story.
How much time would you need?
I don't know, maybe days, a week, a month, even a year, I don't know.
You better write one soon.
Dude, I need time, don’t you get it? And why are you pestering me to write something?
Because you are due for a book in two months and I can’t handle your publisher’s phone calls anymore. Your manuscript should have reached them by now, that is what they said.
What? It is due in two months? And why didn't you tell me all this before?
Because I thought of not disturbing your state of mind with the divorce thing, you know; so.
Oh man, what do I do now? This is crap. I step out of one problem and then step into one. What am I going to do now?
I don't know, figure it out man, and you can’t stay with me from next week. My parents are coming to stay with me for 6 months.
Oh great. Now, I got to write a book, find a place to stay, cook, eat, and fend for myself. Start my life all over again.
I am sorry man but you better get in shape. Get a grip.
------
What did he say after that?
I don’t know, that is all I heard before I left the house. They are my neighbours and there is so much one can eavesdrop at someone else’s conversation.
So, one is a divorcee and the other is a bachelor, right?
Yes
Are they good looking?
I don't know, I think the bachelor is an ok to do guy. I haven't seen the divorcee that much to notice anything.
Have they spoken to you?
No. I mean, the divorcee said hi to me one time in the lift. That’s all.
Hmmm Interesting
What is interesting? They are not your types, I am telling you.
Oh babes, there are no types for nobody, you just have to make them your types.
What is it that you have in your brain?
I don't know, let’s see.
I heard Harish asked you out last weekend.
Yes he did but I declined.
Why?
I am not that easy you see. Let him try hard and I am going to play that hard to get by girl, you know.
Alright, what are you doing this evening? I am planning to go shopping after office, you wanna join me?
Sure, anytime for shopping. What are you buying by the way?
I don't know, just shopping, let’s see what is nice.
Alright, I will meet you at the parking lot at 5 then.
Sure, bye
----
Dude, you could have parked at the mall. Why are you trying to squeeze in this small narrow dingy lane? The place does not have any parking space dude. What are we doing here?
We are going to meet a real estate agent my friend.
Dude, I am telling you, let us park at the mall, and then walk till here. I will pay for the parking.
Alright, you and your rules and consideration for others
Dude, seriously, I mean, it makes no sense to park at a narrow lane where two cars can’t even cross each other. This country is ruined by people like you who don’t think about others. Selfish
Alright alright, here we are, at the mall. Happy?
Thank you. Do you know this real estate agent? I prefer finding a place on my own dude, this guy will charge a bomb, plus the ten months deposit shit of Bangalore.
He is my friend. He won’t charge. Yeah maybe a dinner.
Hmmm fine. Let’s see.
------
This is boring, it is all conversation. Talk talk talk. Where is the story?
It is brewing somewhere. We have reached the mall. We have four characters so far, the two dudes and the two women. Let’s throw in some bollywood masala and make this a masala tadka, what say?
What rubbish, I don’t like masala. I like a story to be a proper story, a cast, a plot, a storyline, characters and a good ending. Now, the ending can be good or bad but then again it must have an ending. Without a proper the end, a story is never a story.
So, it is like, you plan out the beginning and the end first and then you plug in whatever in between. That seems to be alright by me. Now, what am I going to put in? I got only two months to write something that people will like. My last book was ok, got to sell about 5000 copies, which is a big number for me. I actually doubt what those 5000 people were thinking when they read my book. There seems to be lot going on in my life right now. I got this friend, my best friend in fact; I have been living with him ever since I got divorced. Now that he says that I can’t live with him anymore, I got to find a place for myself.
As you could have figured out from the conversation that you just read, we are at a narrow lane to meet a real estate agent, my friend Suhas’s friend. There you go, my friend’s name. See, how bad I am, I did not even mention his name all these while. Anyway, the staircase looks like a snake trying to digest his food in a tree. You know, how anacondas wrap itself in a tree to digest the good. It is just like that. Round and round the stairs go. Oh right, leaving you foot wear outside a shop seems to be a culture in Bangalore, no, Bengaluru. Why do you want your customers to take off their footwear so that they could enter your shop? Why? I left behind my black sandal at the doorstep and walked in to a neat office where I could smell fresh jasmine smell coming from the room freshener. As soon as I entered I could see a big ass table greeting me, the freaking room is smaller than the table. A water dispenser at the right hand side and there he sat, Suhas’s friend Chandu. At first, I thought his face was a poster on the chair. The damn chair was too big for him and his face was right in the middle of the back rest. Damn, why do people show off?
So, you are looking for a house eh? He asked.
No, I am here to play football, you dumbass. These lines played out instantly in my brain. With a smile on my face I replied “yes I am”
Alright, leave your phone number; I will call you once I have something. What kind of house are you looking at? A flat or an independent house? He asked me.
A place where the landlord will not ask me anything, that is all I want.
“Find him a quite place” Suhas added.
Ok, I will try. Tea? He offered.
“No, we are in a hurry” Suhas said.
I ran down the flight of stairs and lit a cigarette, waiting for Suhas to come down.
“Alright, let’s go” Suhas said as he came down.
“What’s the plan?” I asked as I stubbed the cigarette on the ground and bend to pick up the butt.
“I am going to meet my girlfriend” he seemed to say this as I was looking for a dust bin to drop the cigarette butt.
“What did you say?”
“I said I am going to meet Sushma” he said.
“Alright then, can you drop me at the house, I will start packing. I better be ready to move when this guy finds me a house.” I said as we started walking towards the mall.
“So, you guys are serious?” I asked as he got into the car.
“Yeah man, she is the one” Suhas replied as he started the ignition.
“So, you want to marry her?” I quipped.
“Definitely” he replied with that definitely sounding like a war cry.
“Oh shit, watch where you are going lady?” Suhas screamed as a scooter almost rammed into his car bonnet.
The lady said sorry and looked at us. I got a glance of the woman at the back when I was lighting a cigarette. She seemed to have that ‘I-know-you’ looks. She did not smile just that look.
“Dude, isn’t she your neighbour?” I asked.
“Really? I don’t know” Suhas replied.










 to be continued......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infosys Times

The Bengaluru to Imphal Drive (part 1)

The true Indian