Delhi...Then and Now

Circa 1997..the year when I first came to Delhi for some work. My uncle was being treated at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences. I was then a student of 2nd Year B.com, studying in a filthy city called Kanpur. At that time Delhi was all the hustle and bustle, way too crowded, polluting busses, cows and all sorts of animals on the road, potholed roads, uncanny auto drivers...it was pure madness.
Zip to 2006, I am back to the city after almost 10 years. Honestly it was not surprising to see the present day Delhi but it was rather shocking. At first I did not believe that I was in Delhi. The swanky new Metro, CNG fuel for all busses, autorickshaws and taxis, Multiple flyovers, smooth (well smoother) traffic, a strict helmet rule. Delhi was no more the Delhi I knew. Its time I adjust myself to the pace of Delhi. The fastest moving city in India today.
With the 2010 commonwealth games scheduled to be held in the city, Delhi is certainly going the right way to being a world city. The recent campaign by the "times of India" called "chalo Dilli" is another step towards that goal of world city.
Another breakthrough is the awarding of contracts for the privatisation of the IGI airport. well some controversies are there regarding the contract but things seem to be moving the right direction. The Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway is nearing completion which will reduce the travel time between the two places by a good hour and half, at the moment the ride takes about 2 hours. After its complete, you can zip to Gurgaon in 20 minutes flat.
Way to go Delhi.........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infosys Times

The Bengaluru to Imphal Drive (part 1)

The true Indian